Take your 1st step in establishing a career in the fast-growing travel industry
A Travel Assistant works in customer service and advising tasks at airports and in ferry terminals as well as in hotels and restaurants, and various outdoor events in Helsinki and Lapland area.
The target group of the education: immigrants living in Finland.
What we expect from you
• you are living in Finland
• you have a great customer service attitude
• you speak fluent English
• you have basic skills in Finnish and want to learn more
• other language skills (e.g. French, Spanish, Vietnam, Italian, Korean) would be an advantage
Travel Assistant at work – examples
Receiving clients • Helping clients to find a bus • Answering practical questions • Helping Tour Guides and Local Guides • Taking clients from airport to their destination on busy days (transfer)
Receiving clients • Helping clients to find a bus, tram etc. • Answering practical questions • Giving tips on what to do in spare time • Helping tour guides and local guides • Working as an assistant guide in cycling tours, city tours etc.
Working as an assistant guide • Working together with professional guides • Answering practical questions • Helping with equipment
Hotels and restaurants
Helping at the reception • Answering practical questions • Giving tips on what to do, where to go in spare time • Working as an assistant concierge
Next training starts in spring 2018
Live (in Helsinki)/Skype applicant auditions: May 3rd – 5th
Orientation and personal study plan: May 17th – 18th (Helsinki)
Schedule and content of studies
Getting prepared to be a Travel Assistant
– Basics of global and local tourist industry: May 22nd – 23rd
– Service design and customer service: June 7th – 8th
– Responsibility and security:
– eLearning (theory): June 19th – 20th
– Applied training: July 17th – 18th
– Visits to ports, tourist offices, airport etc.: August 14th – 16th
Study trip to Lapland (Rovaniemi-Levi area): September 25th – 28th
Final Exams: September
– Planning a guided tour
– Guiding a tour (minimum one hour)
Courses/lectures mainly take place 3–7 p.m. Learning materials and tutoring are also available online.
Having passed the exam of Travel Assistant you will have completed the Guiding in Foreign Language unit of the Further Qualification of Tour Guide.
Your contact information will be attached in a nationwide Travel Assistant recruiting register of Association of Finnish Travel Agents (AFTA) >>
Costs: Qualification fee is 58 euro
Ms. Anu Nylund, development manager, tourism education
040 962 2006
Ministry of Education and Culture provides financial support for the education.